Careers Paths at DOB
Develop your Career at DOB
DOB provides ample opportunity to grow and develop your career as you work and learn alongside a high caliber team of committed public servants. DOB staff are encouraged to apply for promotional opportunities and take NYS Civil Service exams as they advance their knowledge, leadership, and supervising skills.
Employees with questions about growth and promotional opportunities are encouraged to speak with the Human Resources Office for personalized guidance.
Budget and Policy Analyst Title Series
Most candidates join our team through the Budget and Policy Analyst career track (also referred to as the Budget Fellow program), which is a fulltime, ongoing professional career track that does not require a civil service exam. This title series is an entry path where college graduates can start their careers at DOB and with New York State Government.
Budget and Policy Analyst I:
- Annual salary: $51,849.
- Requirements: Bachelor’s degree.
- Advances to Budget and Policy Analyst II after one year of satisfactory service.
Budget and Policy Analyst II:
- Annual salary: $56,774.
- Requirements: Master’s degree; OR, a Bachelor’s degree and one year of relevant experience.
- Advances to Budget and Policy Analyst III after one year of satisfactory service.
Budget and Policy Analyst III:
- Annual salary: $61,423.
- Requirements: Doctoral degree; OR, a Master’s degree and one year of relevant experience; OR, a Bachelor’s degree and two years of relevant experience; OR, a Bachelor’s degree and three years of professional experience including one year of relevant experience.
- Eligible for annual salary increases based on performance.
Recruitment of Budget and Policy Analysts is ongoing – apply through our online application and select your areas of professional interest to be considered for a position and check our current openings to see all open Budget and Policy Analyst roles.
Civil Service and Promotional Title Opportunities
Budget and Policy Analysts accumulate the knowledge and experience to compete in the Civil Service examination to transition to competitive class employment as a Budget Examiner (Grade 18). Examiners seeking to advance their careers into leadership and management positions may take exams for:
- Senior Budget Examiner (Grade 23)
- Associate Budget Examiner (Grade 27)
- Principal Budget Examiner (Grade 31)
View additional potential career pathways on NYS Got-It.
In addition to these promotional opportunities, Budget Examiners can transfer to managerial positions in other New York State agencies through the Civil Service system.