Financial Services, Department ofskip breadcrumbs
Agency Web Site: http://www.dfs.ny.gov/
Legislation enacted with the 2011-12 budget established the Department of Financial Services, integrating the New York State Banking Department and Insurance Department into a modern, consolidated financial regulator overseeing industries that are critical to the State's financial vitality. The mission of the Department consists of the following activities and objectives:
- Foster continued growth of the financial industry in New York and spur State economic development through judicious regulation and vigilant supervision;
- Ensure the continued solvency, safety, soundness and prudent conduct of the providers of financial products and services;
- Ensure fair, timely and equitable fulfillment of the industry financial obligations;
- Ensure the current and continuing solvency of providers and practitioners;
- Ensure high standards of honesty, transparency, fair business practices and public responsibility;
- Educate the public regarding the nature and use of financial products and services and ensure that consumers have access to understandable information so that they may make responsible decisions about financial products and services.
The 2014-15 Executive Budget recommends $551.4 million for the Department, a decrease of $750,000 from 2013-14 budget estimates. This decrease reflects savings associated with the expiration of the Entertainment Workers Program, which sunsets July 1, 2014.
The Executive Budget recommends a workforce of 1,337 FTEs for the Department. which is unchanged from 2013-14 FTE levels.
|Aid To Localities||225,566,000||224,816,000||(750,000)||276,000|
|Special Revenue Funds - Other||79||79||0|
|Special Revenue Funds - Other||450||450||0|
|Special Revenue Funds - Federal||23||23||0|
|Special Revenue Funds - Other||785||785||0|
Note: Most recent estimates as of 01/20/2014