Economic Development, Department ofskip breadcrumbs
Agency Web Site: http://esd.ny.gov/
Together with Empire State Development, the New York State Department of Economic Development:
- Advises the Governor and Legislature on all major economic development issues and decisions;
- Develops and recommends State economic development strategies;
- Provides technical and financial assistance to businesses through a network of regional offices; and
- Coordinates the efforts of other State agencies, authorities and organizations, as well as local governments, on actions that affect the State’s economy.
The Executive Budget recommends $74.6 million for the Department. This is a decrease of $7.4 million from the 2013-14 budget. The decrease primarily reflects decreased spending resulting from operational and administrative efficiencies, and the non-recurrence of one-time 2013-14 Legislative adds and certain non-personal service costs.
The Executive Budget recommends a workforce of 152 FTEs for the Department, which is unchanged from 2013-14 levels.
Major budget actions include:
- New York State Innovation Hot Spots and New York State Incubators Program: The budget includes $3.75 million in new funding to support expenses of the Innovation Hot Spots and Incubators Program, an increase of $2.5 million from 2013-14. Designated Hot Spots and Incubators will serve as high technology innovation incubators providing growth support funding for start-up companies.
- Market New York Program: The budget includes $5 million in new funding to support an advertising competition for the best regional marketing plans, the same level as last year.
- "I ♥ NY” Program: A $2.5 million appropriation is recommended for "I ♥ NY” tourism advertising, the same level as last year.
- Tourism Matching Grants: $3.8 million is provided to assist local tourism promotion agencies, the same level as last year.
- International Trade: A $700,000 appropriation is recommended for international trade activities and offices, the same level as last year.
For more information on this agency's budget recommendations located in the Executive Budget Briefing Book, click on the following link:
|Aid To Localities||53,852,000||49,737,000||(4,115,000)||182,389,100|
|Special Revenue Funds - Other||2||2||0|
|Marketing and Advertising Program|
Note: Most recent estimates as of 01/20/2014