Military and Naval Affairs, Division of
|All amounts are in dollars|
|Aid To Localities||403,074,150||9,650,000||-393,424,150||849,811,000|
|Full-Time Equivalent Positions (FTE)|
|Special Revenue Funds - Federal||75||75||0|
|Special Revenue Funds - Other||18||18||0|
|Special Revenue Funds - Federal||292||292||0|
|Special Revenue Funds - Other||11||11||0|
Note: Most recent estimates as of 01/22/08.
The Division of Military and Naval Affairs (DMNA) has two primary missions. Through the State's militia, DMNA maintains a well-trained military force ready to respond to civil emergencies, natural disasters, and threats to the nation's security. Through the State Emergency Management Office (SEMO), the Division prepares the State and local governments to deal effectively with potential disasters and coordinates the State's response to disasters.
The Executive Budget recommends $127 million All Funds ($25 million General Fund, $102 million Other Funds) for the Division of Military and Naval Affairs including the State Emergency Management Office. This is a net decrease of $394 million from the 2007-08 budget, which primarily reflects the completion of disaster aid. These amounts reflect a $6.2 million increase in support for the Division, primarily to support growth in the military readiness and special services programs.
The Executive Budget recommends a staffing level of 654 FTEs for the Division of Military and Naval Affairs, an increase of two from 2007-08, to establish permanent state coordinators for FEMA Assistance.
Major budget actions include:
- Support for Empire Shield: The 2008-09 Executive Budget includes approximately $16 million to support a force of 268 National Guard for the Empire Shield mission in the New York City metro area. Beginning in 2008-09, Empire Shield will be headquartered at Fort Hamilton, and the mission of existing units will change from standing patrols at specific locations, to flexible threat-based, rapid response units. Support for this initiative is appropriated within the All State Agencies/All Funds Homeland Security Miscellaneous appropriation.
- Funding for NY Alert emergency notification system: The 2008-09 Executive Budget recommends that $5.4 million in Federal emergency preparedness funds, an increase of $4.3 million from 2007-08, be made available to the State Emergency Management Office to continue development of the New York Alert emergency notification system. Next, NY Alert will offer rapid emergency alert capabilities to all SUNY campuses. Public schools and citizens throughout the State will also have the ability to access and utilize this state-of-the-art emergency notification system.
- Permanent Disaster Assistance Coordinators: Support for 2 permanent disaster coordinators is recommended in an effort to provide additional on-site direction to communities and State agency representatives during disaster recovery operations around the State.
- Additional support for New York Guard: The Division of Military and Naval Affairs is provided an additional $205,000 for costs associated with the New York Guard as directed by the Adjutant General.
- Proposed Article VII to recoup State costs associated with security missions at nuclear generating facilities: An Article VII bill to establish an assessment on power plant operators for costs associated with National Guard and Naval Militia missions at nuclear facilities accompanies the 2008-09 Executive Budget. This proposal will reimburse up to $11.7 million in recurring General Fund costs annually.
The Division's Aid to Localities budget of $9.7 million in new State and Federal disaster assistance appropriations is available to provide support in the event of future disasters. Appropriations are also provided for annual Federal grants and to expend fees collected from nuclear power plant operators for local radiological emergency preparedness planning.
2008-09 Executive Budget — Agency Presentation
Military and Naval Affairs, Division of (PDF)